Thursday, August 4, 2011

slow fade.

Proverbs 26:11

 As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his foolishness.
Ew. that's just gross. we're creatures of habit I suppose. sometimes we know the root of why we do what we do. other times we just do it because, well, that's just what we do. But why?   I'm not a dog person. but even I know that a dog (or any other creature) going back to eat what they just upchucked is just plain wrong, and stupid. (and gross).

I'm hitting the pause button. If you're bored enough to read this please watch this first.

Did you really watch it/listen? well ok then.

This song was on more last summer. Sometimes when it was on the radio and I heard a little voice behind me singing it it was/is too much to bear. Going back to vomit. the thought really is repulsive. I spent about 8 months of my life 2 yrs ago upchucking. a lot. (i know TMI...but I hopefully am going somewhere). As gross as all that puke was, can you imagine how absolutely disusting it would be if I then willingly then tried re-eating it. Seriously. I get it. GROSS. Wouldn't you try to stop me? Wouldn't you think I had gone over the top-lock-her-up-and-throw-away-the-key mad? 

Isn't that what addictions are? It's going back to that foul, repulsive, vomit when God has something so much better for us. And we do that thing that we do...that going back to eating vomit thing and we're just so accustomed to it, that we just keep on doing it. because, well, that's just what we do.
Those addictions, that eating vomit crap looks different for everybody. Maybe it's a excessive drinking, maybe it's some sort of sexual addiction, maybe it's fill in blank
I'm not the theatrical type. really i'm not. But I've seen how this going back to vomit destroys. it destroys individuals, families, and possibilities. Can I tell you that I'm stinkin' tired of brokenness. Tired of seeing lives destroyed but vomit eating. So if you are a friend of a vomit eater, will you please do me a favor? It's easier to turn a head and avoid the gross up-chucking eater, but do you think it's possible to love them enough to be intentional in showing them another way?

We've all made stupid choices, done stupid things. But if you are a vomit eater, would you please seek out good men/women to walk along beside you? The banquet that is right around the corner is worth it. It's hard work getting there. But I promise you it's worth it. Because I too am a former vomit eater. And trust me the stuff on the table is way better.

No comments:

Post a Comment