Tuesday, July 19, 2011

with a mom like this who needs a life coach?

“Beneath the small talk and sketchy biographies and received opinions people carry within them some central explanation of themselves. Stories full of terror and wonder, studded with events that still haunt or inspire them. Sacred stories."-El Presidente


I firmly believe we are who we are because of the people who have been in our lives, whether that be good or bad. I’ve been extremely mindful lately of the lasting impact of how I do life has been in big part of those who have been apart of my life.  Let me introduce you to my mama. I found a box of letters/notes/keepsakes from college days recently. I’m not exactly sure when my mom sent this to me, or exactly what she was referring to (although I have an idea) but here goes sections of a mom’s letter sent to her daughter:
                You are blessed with a strength from God that I often admire. Your strict adherence to God’s will for your life brings me, and I’m sure your Holy Father great joy…. Erica, you have heard God’s call for your life. Listen carefully. Discern his will and be cautious not to confuse his voice with your own. Take counsel with people who people who have a sound and firm relationship with Him. The path God has chosen for you will not be an easy one. When others criticize you, listen carefully and take it to the Lord in prayer. If there is validity to the criticism, do your best to right the wrong. If the criticism is without foundation, pray for a forgiving spirit. When others would praise you, give the glory to your heavenly Father.
See what I mean, I got dozens of these sorts of encouraging words all throughout college (and beyound)....

I am incredibly blessed to have a mom who has loved an encouraged me throughout my entire life. I try to emulate her parenting. I know it works. As Madi and Clay have grown I have become more and more aware of the hardness of parenting. It’s not all about cute bows and matching outfits (although I do enjoy those things), it’s about instilling godly characters traits in them. One of the most important things my mom has taught me was to have a giving heart. Can I tell you how she did that? When no one was watching, no trumpets a blazing “LOOK AT ME I’M SUPER CHRISTIAN LADY”….she just did. No announcements. No fan fare. I just saw her live it out.And when she failed, she said so. She also has taught me a whole lot about what to do when you did/are screwing up.  My mom also has built a relationship with both my sister and myself that if and when in our lives we were making crappy choices, she told us (lovingly), but let us know that crappy decisions lead to heartache down the road. She has always encouraged me and told me that although Christ’s path is worth it, it is and will be so much harder. She loved me enough to give me both words and encouragement, but also the hard part of-words of caution/discipline when need be as well.

Against all sorts of odds she did this with grace, and humility. But for some reason I seem more panicked in my parenting. I want Madi and Clay to get kindness, generosity, compassion, etc. and I want them to get it NOW. I think there are 2 big reasons. First, I know my own future is iffy-it’s as if everyday is another day marked off and the future seems so darn uncertain. It’s as if my mother-ly installment of values need to be given. Right. This. Second. Secondly, I think one of the most harmful things for a child/adolescent is to have them watch an indivudal/family who professes to live for Christ,yet who doesn’t live out the Faith. I want them both to see (and I want it NOW) that just because someone professes to be a “Christian”, it doesn't mean they are following Christ...that you actually know that by how they live. (John 13:34-35).  

No comments:

Post a Comment