Friday, August 12, 2011

hey shorty, it was ur birfday

This week we celebrated baby girl's 6th birthday. Sixth? how can this be? I said in a previous ranting that I felt God had given me songs for both the kids about a yr. ago. I heard Plumb's In My Arms and instantly fell in love with lyrics. It was painfully raw, and true, and I felt like I had found words to what was going on in our world.
Your baby blues
So full of wonder
Your curly cues
Your contageous smile
And as I watch
You start to grow up
All I can do is hold you tight
Knowing clouds will rage
And storms will race in
But you will be safe in my arms
Rains will pour down
Waves will crash all around
But you will be safe in my arms
Story books full of fairy tales
Of kings and queens and the bluest skies
My heart is torn just in knowing
You'll someday see the truth from lies
Knowing clouds will rage
 
And storms will race in 
But you will be safe in my arms 
Rains will pour down 
Waves will crash all around 
But you will be safe in my arms
Castles they might crumble
 
Dreams may not come true 
But you are never all alone 
Because I will always 
Always love you
Clouds will rage
 
And storms will race in 
But you will be safe in my arms 
Rains will pour down 
Waves will crash all around 
But you will be safe in my arms


I love seeing the little lady she is becoming. She can both frustrate me and awe me, sometimes in the same breath. I've struggled lately in knowing how to love Madi and Clay best. Perhaps, it's the fact that I went into parenting thinking it was a team thing, and now find myself doing the single mom thing. I recently found the dedication prayer that we wrote together for her:
Lord, we thank you for our precious little girl, Madeline who is made in your image.  As her parents we understand that she was yours long before she came into our lives and we thank you for giving her to us. 
          As parents, we pray that we bring up Madeline in a Christ-loving home.  Lord, we know that actions speak louder than words and we ask that our actions reflect Christ. Help us to approach her, and each other, with a servant’s heart and with the love of Christ at all times.  We ask that in all we do that you grant us wisdom and patience.  Lord, we know that it takes a village to raise a child and we thank you for the blessing of family and friends. We pray that they would  provide a Christ-like example for Madeline to see.  In all that we do, we ask that we always show her a Christ –like love.
          Lord, we know that you hold Madi’s future in your hands and we ask that your ever-lasting blessing would cover it.  We pray for your hand of protection over her mind, body and spirit.  Help her to grow to be a loving, Christ centered person, a light in the darkness for all to see.  Lord, we pray that she becomes the type of person described in 2nd Peter 1, that her faith is filled with goodness, knowledge,  self-control, perseverance, Godliness, brotherly-kindness, and love.  We ask that you bless her and keep her throughout life’s journey, and watch over her as she continues to grow in you.  AMEN


But here I stand WE-less-ness and so I know the "I" part just looks different, and somedays I find it difficult knowing how to do that best. for both of them.


I love her radiant personality and abounding silliness. As much as I worry that she sometimes doesn't "get" life lessons, I also feel a sting in her words when she makes comments/asks questions that lets me know she gets "it" often more than I give her credit for.  She often has more questions than I have answers for, and the answers I do have don't seem quite fitting for a 6 year old. So Madi Ro, this I do know: 
My heart is torn just in knowing
You'll someday see the truth from lies
Castles they might crumble
 
Dreams may not come true 
But you are never all alone 
Because I will always 
Always love you
Clouds will rage
 
And storms will race in 
But you will be safe in my arms 
Rains will pour down 
Waves will crash all around 
But you will be safe in my arms

No comments:

Post a Comment